We offer work experience and placements to help you gain valuable insight into working with us and develop key skills for your career.
What is Work Experience
Work experience is gaining knowledge and skills through working with us on short-term, up to 3 weeks, usually on an unpaid basis.
Work experience with us will include:
- Learning about our working environment - we’ll give you an insight into what happens in on our network and in our office.
- Work activities and tasks - you’ll try out the job with us, getting involved with task and activities that will help you learn on-the-job.
- Work skills - we’ll apply your skills and previous academic learning with us, in real life situations.
We are unable to accommodate work experience requests at the moment. However, we are excited to launch our new virtual work experience platform this Autumn. More information on this opportunity is below.
A work placement with us involves gaining valuable skills and experience in a particular area of the business for a fixed period of time, usually between 1 - 12 months.
A placement with us will include:
- Work skills - we’ll apply your skills and previous academic learning with us in a particular area of the business.
- Development - We can provide you with both on-the-job training and formal paid training to help develop you skills in a given area.
- Networking - We’ll provide you with various networking opportunities, whilst you gain valuable insight into the transport industry.
- Our working environment - we’ll give you an insight into what happens in on our network and in our office.
- Work activities and tasks - you’ll try out the job with us, getting involved with task and activities that will help you learn on the job.
A virtual work experience opportunity with Transport for Wales
We’re excited to confirm that our new virtual work experience programme will be available soon. ‘Transforming travel: Building a transport network for the future’ has been created in partnership with Springpod and begins on Monday 23 October 2023.
Springpod offer interactive, experiential learning programmes for the next generation, enabling young people to take their future in their own hands and giving all students equal access to fantastic work experience opportunities.
We’re delighted to be working with Springpod to bring you an interactive, informative and fun learning programme. It’s all about transport, how it works, why it’s important and the diverse career opportunities available at Transport for Wales.
The programme will include live content, talks from guest speakers and the opportunity to participate in a variety of activities. All delegates will receive a certificate of completion of their work experience with Transport for Wales at the end of the programme.
How can I apply?
Attendance is free, but you need to book a place. Applications are open until 13 October 2023.