Cardiff is a cosmopolitan city with great shopping, acres of parkland and a stunning waterfront.
Save up to half the price* on train journeys to Cardiff with Advance tickets.
Travel to Cardiff Central by train and arrive right in the city centre. It’s the perfect stepping off point for Cardiff’s shops, foodie delights, historic sights, sporting events and vibrant music scene. Best of all, you can explore it all on foot just a short walk from the railway station.
Browse without a browser
Let’s get back to real face time and enjoy browsing without a browser. Our trains can take you to some of the UK’s best shopping destinations, so you can enjoy some retail therapy without any technical glitches.
Just a five-minute walk away from Cardiff Central you’ll find St David’s Centre, which is home to high street favourites, as well as independent stores. The real highlight of Cardiff’s retail scene are the Victorian and Edwardian arcades and the thriving indoor market, full of independent boutiques and cafes, and worth a visit as architectural gems.
- Cardiff Castle and grounds in the heart of the city, a 19th century gothic fantasy with foundations dating back to 50AD.
- Principality Stadium, watch top sporting and music events, or follow in the footsteps of legendary Welsh rugby players on a tour from dressing room to pitch.
- Wales Millennium Centre, national home for the performing arts - staging West End musicals, opera, ballet, circus and contemporary dance plus a huge programme of free performances.
- The Taff Trail, a cycling and walking route that runs for 55 miles between Cardiff and Brecon. You can explore old rail routes, tow paths and tramways on foot or by bike.
A weekend in Cardiff
Whether you’re hitting the shops or the culture trail, or planning an action-packed family outing, Cardiff has something for every budget.
Shop designer brands and high street staples at St David’s Shopping Centre, and discover something special in one of Cardiff’s six Victorian shopping arcades. Seek out vintage clothes, jewellery, antiques, coffee shops and a Cardiff institution, Spillers Records, the oldest record shop in the world.
Take the kids on an outdoor adventure. Crash through the rapids in a canoe, go bodyboarding on the indoor waves, or try paddle boarding at Cardiff International White Water - there are activities for ages 6 and up. Back on dry land, follow the 10k circular trail of the Cardiff Bay Barrage to the seaside town of Penarth. Or take a trip out of the city - the Bannau Brycheiniog and the unspoilt beaches of the Gower Peninsular are right on your doorstep.
Get a flavour of Welsh history at the open-air St Fagans National History Museum. And visit The Cardiff Story to see the development of the city through the eyes of its people. Spend a day wandering the art and natural history collections at the National Museum Cardiff - entry is free. Or discover the home of Senedd Cymru, the Welsh Parliament at the Senedd in Cardiff Bay.
Sample the real taste of Wales with Cardiff's food and drink scene. Start in the centre at Cardiff Market, with traditional local produce under a majestic Victorian glass roof. Seek out farmers’ markets and street food festivals. Then watch the world go by from the waterside bars and restaurants on Mermaid Quay.
Travel to Wales’ capital in First Class
Why not travel to the capital city of Wales in style? Three of our Premier Service trains arrive at Cardiff Central from Holyhead each day.
First Class tickets are available for travel between Cardiff and selected locations. Find out if these are available for your journey here.
If you fancy spoiling yourself a little on your adventure to Cardiff, our First Class dining service includes seasonal dishes served with warmth and charm.
- *Terms and conditions
- *Average percentage saved by customers between 01/01/2022 and 31/12/2022 when buying undiscounted TfW Advance tickets compared to the cheapest undiscounted TfW priced Anytime single ticket for the same journey, available on the day of travel, was 51%. Advance fares are subject to availability. National Rail Conditions of travel apply.