How do I apply for my Welsh Concessionary Travel Card?

The quickest and easiest way to apply for a card is via the website. Visit and follow the simple instructions. Alternatively, pop into your local library or community hub where you’ll be able to access the internet. (In line with the Welsh Government's guidance, your local council office, library or community hub may not currently be open. Please contact us on 0300 303 4240 or email with your enquiry or if you require support).  

If you’re unable to apply on the website, don’t worry, you can ask a friend, family member or someone you trust to fill in the online application on your behalf.

If you have any queries, please speak to your local council or call 0300 303 4240 to find out where local support is available. Please be aware that you won’t be able to apply by phone.

You’ll need to provide copies of evidence to support your application and a new passport photo. Once you’ve got these, return your form to Concessionary Travel Card, PO Box 55, Penrhyndeudraeth, LL49 0AY.

Please do not send originals of any documents like passports or driving licences.

Please also note that ‘recorded’ delivery is not available for PO Box addresses.

Remember, it’s easier if you can find someone to help you apply online at

What information do you need from me to apply for my card?

To apply, you’ll need the following information to hand:

  • Your address and postcode, this will be checked against records to ensure that you are an entitled resident in Wales.
  • Your date of birth.
  • Your National Insurance number, if you’re over 16, which is on pension statements, disability statements or payslips.
  • A recent passport style photograph - if you're applying on a phone or tablet, you'll be able to take this at the relevant point in the application, or you can upload one from your computer.
  • If you're applying for a disabled pass, you'll need electronic copies of documents that prove your entitlement - guidance on these can be found at /eligibility

If you’re visiting a local library, community hub or asking someone to apply on your behalf, please make sure you have all of this information available, including your National Insurance number. We can’t process your application without it. (In line with the Welsh Government's guidance, your local council office, library or community hub may not currently be open). 

How long does it take to receive my new card?

We aim to get back to you within 10 working days. 

Will I be able to sort out my application at my local council office?

Your local council offices will be able to support you with your application. (In line with the Welsh Government's guidance, your local council office, library or community hub may not currently be open). 

I'm 60 in a few weeks’ time. When can I apply?

You can apply for a card up to 20 days before your 60th birthday.

I have a disability. Am I entitled to a Concessionary Travel Card?

Please refer to the guide on eligibility and the evidence you’ll need to provide.

If you’re still unsure whether you qualify for a Disabled Person’s Concessionary Travel Card, please contact your local council.

I’m disabled and I’m unable to travel alone; how do I apply for my first Disabled Person with Companion Travel Card?

Please refer to the guide on eligibility and the evidence you’ll need to provide

All companion cards are processed by the local councils, so please contact your local council if you require a companion pass.

How do I use my Concessionary Travel Card?

Using your card is simple. When you travel on the bus, all you need to do is:
•    Show your card to the driver
•    Place your card on the ticket reader
•    Find a seat and enjoy your free journey

Please remember your card can only be used by you. Allowing someone else to use it may lead to the card being cancelled and/or its renewal being refused. Where a Disabled Person with Companion Concessionary Travel Card has been issued, the companion will only be allowed to travel for free when accompanying the cardholder for the whole of the bus journey.

Further information is available in the full terms and conditions of the scheme.

Where can I use my Concessionary Travel Card?

Your Concessionary Travel Card is valid on all eligible bus services that operate in Wales, including those commencing/terminating at points adjacent to Wales, provided that the cross-boundary journey doesn’t involve a change of bus in England. You can also use selected rail services operating in Wales.

Please be aware you can’t use your card on coach services such as National Express, Megabus or City Sightseeing. However, companies may offer discounts to Concessionary Travel Cardholders.

Further information is available in the full terms and conditions of the scheme.

What do I do if I lose or damage my new card, who do I contact?

If you lose or damage your card, the quickest and easiest way to request a replacement is by logging into your account on the website. You can also contact your council or call 0300 303 4240.

This is my first card; can I reclaim my travel costs while I’ve been waiting for my bus pass to arrive?

While we recognise that waiting for your card to arrive can be frustrating, we’re unable to reimburse any travel costs incurred while you’re waiting for your bus pass to arrive. This has always been the case, since the current scheme was first introduced in 2009.

Has Transport for Wales taken over the concessionary card scheme from councils?

No - councils continue to manage concessionary travel schemes under the Transport Act (2000). Councils have agreed that we, TfW, can help councils to replace all existing green bus passes. Councils still play an important part in the process, including the management of the companion plus cards, providing local support and managing replacements for lost/stolen/damaged cards.

Why do you need my National Insurance number?

We fully understand that cardholders are concerned about privacy and confidentiality of personal information.  We take this extremely seriously, and have taken many steps to ensure your data is safe - our privacy notice provides more information.

The Wales Audit Office publishes a set of data which it recommends that public authorities collect to prevent fraud.  The latest publication is available on the WAO website here.

The section “Concessionary travel passes (ADULT ONLY) – 2018-19 data specification”, lists the National Insurance number as an important identifier and states that “The data required is for all current adult holders of a concessionary travel pass”.

I need to supply a new photo, what are the requirements?

The digital photo must:
•    clearly show your face so that the drivers can recognise you easily
•    include your head and shoulders
•    contain no other objects or people
•    be taken against a plain light-coloured background

You should:
•    face forward and look straight at the camera
•    have a plain expression and your mouth closed
•    have your eyes open and visible
•    not have a head covering (unless it's for religious or medical reasons)
•    not have anything covering your face, including your hair
•    not have any shadows on your face or behind you

Examples of what photos will and won’t be accepted:


We don’t have the same strict requirements as passports (which use the photo for biometric identification) but it’s important that drivers can recognise you from your photo.

Why is there an expiry date on my card?

To comply with GDPR legislation regarding the accuracy of the data that we hold about you, we’re no longer able to issue cards that don’t have a printed expiry date. This is because we need to regularly revalidate the information that we hold.

The expiry dates are staggered and coincide with a milestone birthday, such as 70th, 80th and so on.

You’ll receive a reminder before the expiry date allowing you plenty of time to confirm the details that we hold about you and request a new card. In order to ensure that we can contact you please ensure that any changes to your address or means of communication are kept up to date. This can be done easily on our website at

The details on my Concessionary Travel Card are incorrect or have changed; what should I do?

It’s important to keep your personal information up to date. If you change your address or any other details, please let us know at, or email us at

A relative has died and had a Concessionary Travel Card. How do I cancel it?

Please notify us by emailing us at or calling 0300 303 4240 and we’ll ensure the card is cancelled. Once you’ve informed us, please cut up the card.

Are my personal details safe?

Keeping your personal data safe is very important to us.

Your information is held securely and used by your local council, Welsh Government and Transport for Wales to administer the scheme and prevent fraud.

Your card displays your name and the expiry date and doesn’t contain any other personal details.

TfW processes your information in accordance with the Transport for Wales privacy statement

How do I find out about bus times?

Traveline Cymru provides times and route information about all bus, coach, rail, ferry and air services in Wales. They offer an internet-based enquiry service which is available at You can also call them on 0800 464 00 00.

Can I use my card for travel on the trains?

You can travel for free on the following Transport for Wales rail services:
•    Wrexham – Hawarden Bridge
•    Machynlleth – Pwllheli (Cambrian Coastline) – October to March only
•    Llandudno – Blaenau Ffestiniog (Conwy Valley line)
•    Shrewsbury and Llanelli/Swansea (Heart of Wales Line) – October to March only

You’ll need to show your Concessionary Travel Card to get a free ticket from the ticket office before you travel. If there’s no ticket office or if it’s closed, you can get one from the conductor on the train. 

You can also get 1/3 off tickets to travel on the Cardiff and Valley network after 0930 Monday - Friday and any time at weekends and bank holidays.