The Transport for Wales team
The main purpose of our Board is to ensure Transport for Wales meets the requirements of its remit as set by the Welsh Government, and to ensure the delivery of our strategy.
The TfW Board is made up of the Chair, Chief Executive, four independent non-executives and two executive members. Its role is to:
- provide effective leadership for TfW; defining and developing strategic direction, and setting objectives;
- provide effective leadership for the operation of the organisation; holding the Chief Executive to account for ensuring that TfW’s activities are conducted efficiently and effectively;
- monitor performance to ensure that TfW fully meets its aims, objectives and performance targets; and
- promote high standards of public finance; upholding the principles of regularity, propriety and value for money.
The Board meets eleven times a year, and has additional Board Development Days as required. We publish minutes of our Board meetings; they are available here
Board of Directors
Scott is chair of the board of Transport for Wales.
Audit and Risk Committee Chair
Customer and Communication Committee Chair
Health, Safety and Wellbeing Committee Chair
People Committee Chair
Senior Leadership Team
The Board delegates to the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Chair, the discharge of all functions other than the following:
- any matter reserved to the Board;
- any matter delegated to a committee or sub-committee of the Board.
To support the Chief Executive in delivering these functions, our management structure consists of a number of groups that oversee the organisation's strategic and operational activities.
The Senior Leadership Team works in partnership with the Board when developing TfW’s strategy. The Senior Leadership Team is accountable for the day-to-day activities of the organisation and provides corporate leadership.
The Executive consists of the Chief Executive and the seven Executive Directors and two Directors.
As TfW’s Accounting Officer, the Chief Executive (James Price) is personally responsible for:
- the proper stewardship of the public funds;
- day to-day operations and management of Transport for Wales; and
- ensuring compliance with the requirements of ‘Managing Welsh Public Money’.
James leads the organisation in delivering a transport network of which people can be proud.
- Finance function and activities
- Financial strategy and planning
- Analysing performance and risk
- Audit and internal financials controls
- Development of the TfW brand
- Engagement with stakeholders, communities and elected representatives
- Media and colleague engagement
- Multi-modal transport operations for TfW and authority management of Transport for Wales Rail Limited
- Delivery of our new rolling stock and station investment programmes
- Sponsorship of transport enhancement schemes and rail project delivery
- Delivery of value-add services including train cleaning and catering services
- Ownership and asset management of the Core Valley Lines
- Delivery of the Core Valley Lines Transformation programme and wider infrastructure projects.
- Responsible for the Project Management Office (PMO) supporting pan-TfW requirements
- Corporate safety performance
- Supplier adherence to safety management systems
- Corporate sustainability performance
- Approval of engineering standards to be adopted by TfW as CVL system owner.
- Management of TfW procurement processes
- Business development
- People and organisation development
- Commercial policy and contracting
- Passenger and revenue growth
- Customer experience
- Integrated transport
- Corporate risk management
- Develop and lead TfW in North Wales
- TfW growth and integrated strategy for North Wales
- Communication and engagement in North Wales
- Respond to developing and reactive issues in relation to TfW in North Wales
- Advise and support the wider team in relation to the North Wales region
- Development of people strategy including process, culture and engagement.
- Championing inclusion, diversity and social value
- Developing the capability and talent of our employees
- Evolving our systems, processes and supporting policies
- Information Technology
- Digital Transformation